6.2 earthquake hits Japan off Fukushima. Luckily, no casualties, damage, or tsunami reported. http://t.co/HAIUSfC Poor Japan. がんばれ！
Planning a joint Texoma JETAA, JACL, and JASH event for September to keep the relief efforts momentum going. Keep your schedules open!
Every year, the Consul-General of Houston hosts a Farewell Reception for all departing JETs at the Consul-General residence. This year, the reception will take place on Friday, July 22. The reception is a great opportunity to socialize with the current JET administration, JET alum, and future alum of the program. There are a limited number of invitations available, so if you are interested in attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 15. Open-invite spots are awarded on a first-come, first serve basis, so early registration is encouraged.
Date: Friday, July 22, 2011 (Request an invitation by July 15)
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Location: Consul-General Residence
Dress: Business Attire
There is an opening for a Cultural Affairs Assistant at the Consulate-General of Japan at Houston. Details below:
Title: Cultural Affairs Assistant
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation, medical/dental insurance, US federal and some Japanese national holidays
Working hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday; some evenings and weekends required for special events and receptions
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- General administrative duties – assist with correspondence, speech writing, scheduling appointments, etc. for the diplomats.
- Inquiries – Answer general inquiries from the public related to tourism, customs, medication imports, animal quarantine, etc. and research appropriate response.
- Special events – coordinate all logistical arrangements; includes securing venues, serving as liaison with co-sponsoring organizations, coordinating event publicity and documentation (photos/video, etc.).
- Receptions – Coordinate receptions hosted by the Consulate; includes preparing guest lists, mailing invitations, collecting R.S.V.P.’s, preparing nametags and serving as event emcee.
- Public Relations – write press releases for cultural events organized by the Consulate and maintain press contact lists.
- Speech Contest—work together with Japan-America Societies and the Japanese Teachers Association of Texas to coordinate all aspects of annual speech contest.
- Maintain video library and cultural items inventory for loan to local educators and organizations.
- Distribute publications received by the Consulate to local libraries, schools, universities and individuals and maintain respective contact lists.
- Maintain databases of Japan-related programs, professors, etc. in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Plan and execute school/university visits.
- Attend local Japan-related events (i.e. speeches, festivals, youth exchanges, etc.)—take notes/pictures for reports to Tokyo, etc.
- Work with JET Program Coordinator during busy periods with work overflow (interviews, orientations, send-off, etc).
- Assist other sections of the Consulate as required
- Other administrative duties and assisting the diplomats with day-to-day work.
- Strong English language speaking and writing skills
- Strong organizational, administrative, and communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously or as part of a team
- Strong computer skills. Must be proficient in common software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Japan and Japanese culture
- Enjoys cultural and educational events
- Japanese language ability (Preferred)
Consulate-General of Japan at Houston, 909 Fannin Street, Suite 3000, Houston TX 77010
Interested candidates should mail, fax, or e-mail their resume and cover letter to Ms. Lisa Kostelecky (Fax: (713) 651-7822, E-mail: email@example.com). Deadline for submission is Wednesday July 20, 2011. Please do not call with regard to your application status.